Donations sustain Luke Society

December 08, 2017 at 6:00 AM

ghanaportrait.jpg
Healthcare in Kasei, Ghana, has been transformed through the work of the Luke Society, enabled by generous donors in North America.

Donations sustain Luke Society

By Nathan Stob

Historically, December is the month when the Luke Society receives the largest donor response towards the mission work around the world.

The received donations remind me of Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 12:14, “Now the body is not made up of one part but of many.” We see this play out as donors play a part by giving, which then allows ministry directors to do their part and present the Gospel to their medical clients.

If you are considering a year-end gift, let me share some things that make Luke Society a special place to donate:

  • The Holy Spirit is on the move through the work of the Luke Society ministry directors. So far in 2017 we have record of more than 1,000 people who have given their lives to Christ through the evangelism of Luke Society ministries.
  • Donations help ministries become self-sustaining and help establish evangelistic health care within their region. Take, for example, the ministry in Ghana, Africa. This ministry was established in 1988 By Dr. John Oduro-Boateng. Dr. Boateng went to the remote village of Kasei and began performing surgery by flashlight in a mud hut. Luke Society donations allowed Dr. Boating to work in this remote area where people did not have enough funds to pay for services. Fast forward to today when Dr. Boateng directs a Luke Society medical clinic in Kasei which employs more than 200 staff and sees thousands of patients each year. The clinic is self-sustaining and no longer receives financial assistance from the Luke Society. Is has proved to be effective in evangelism, planting more than 50 churches in the past 25 years.

  • There are real people who are helped by the Luke Society. People come into Luke Society medical clinics with tumors, heart issues, dengue fever, or other real health concerns, and oftentimes have nowhere else to turn. They have families who care for them and some have kids who depend on them.

  • Funds go a long way in Luke Society locations. Salaries are smaller, medical equipment is cheaper, and the exchange rate is often in the U.S. dollar’s favor. This allows each dollar that is donated to have a large impact on the ministry it helps support.

  • About 88 percent of every dollar donated to the Luke Society goes directly towards ministry work (the other 12 percent goes towards publications, the small central office of six employees, and the five regional coordinators). Some donors also designate their gift, meaning that 100 percent goes toward a particular ministry.

Evangelism through health care in Luke Society clinics would not be possible without donors playing their generous part. Thank you for considering to help the hurting and bring the Gospel message to people this Christmas season.


Next story:

Much has been given